Sunday, May 31, 2009

Tipping


The other day I stopped by one of my favorite places to get one of my rare, but favorite treats. It was a Peanut Butter Power House from the Smoothie Factory. (No plug intended). A small drink of this fashion costs about 5 bucks after tax. The young guy behind the counter, took my order, took two steps to the right, threw a banana, some peanut butter, rice milk and protein powder into a pitcher and stuck it on the blender (ok so it was a really expensive blender). The entire process took about two minutes.

There before me, in plain sight on the counter, was a tip jar. It just glared at me. It wouldn’t look away. I tried looking at magazines and protein bars, but the jar’s eyes were stuck to me like glue. I threw in a dollar. To be clear, I just spent 5 dollars for a small drink which took two minutes to prepare, and then I tipped the guy a dollar. Granted, this was probably some starving college student, but he just as easily could have been the owner of 12 Smoothie Factory stores and made more money in a week than I make in a year. Still……I tipped him. I wasn’t gonna ask him!!

Yes, tipping has become ridiculous. There’s a tip jar at Starbuck’s asking you to donate after spending 6 dollars for a Mocha Jocha CafĂ© Latte Supachino. There is a tip jar at Subway. They’re everywhere. The doorman wants a tip. The cab driver wants a tip after driving 600 miles an hour the wrong way up a one way street. Before you know it, major airline counters will put up a tip jar to help the poor ticket agent after you just spent 1000 dollars for a plane ticket, 50 more dollars for the bag you checked and 100 dollars to tend to the minor child you’re sending off to see Grandma. Here’s a tip. STOP ASKING ME FOR MONEY!! How I would love it, if every time I made an emergency call, I could stick out my latex-gloved hand and expect to get hit with a ten spot. I could leave the jar on the dash of the fire engine next to the bobble-head hula girl.

Don’t get me wrong. I think servers at restaurants deserve every nickel they get. I realize they technically work for a wage below minimum and tips make up the difference. I wouldn’t want that job for all the tea in China. There are couple other venues that slip my mind at the moment, but come on….for a SMOOTHIE???

What ever happened to working hard for an honest living? I think if I am employed by someone, I should do my best for the wage I’ve agreed to earn. I think asking for a tip after I’ve done exactly what I was hired to do is a little low-rent. If someone actually goes way above and beyond the call, maybe I can be persuaded. Does the librarian get a tip after he or she spends an hour helping you find a rare book? Does your child’s teacher get a tip for staying late to tutor your child? These are arguably two of the lowest paid professions around and you don’t see a tip jar on the teacher’s desk.

All I’m saying is this. I think we’ve become a society that asks far too much for doing nothing. It’s a plague…..a sickness…..a terrible habit. And you know what? If that guy puts in extra peanut butter I’ll probably tip him again.

1 comment:

  1. As a former member of the food service (Chili's and Bennigans R.I.P.) A waiter or waitress depends on tips to survive. At Chili's I made $2.01 an hour plus tips, of which 10-20% went to the Hostesses and bussers. If I busted my butt I could make about $8 an hour. So I am a firm believer in fair tipping. That being said, crappy service begets a crappy tip. Pay according to the quality of service. If he's over there trying to mate with the hottie in booth 7 the whole time instead of refilling your Appletini, don't give him a cent. I promise he'll do better the next time. As for your smoothie guy, he may be making $7 an hour and the tips may be gravy. It's your call.
    By the way if your going to be a dick head to your waiter, make damn sure you never lose eye contact with your food. Sometimes a entree's trip from the kitchen to the table can be helpful in clearing a pissed off waiters sinuses. So I hear:)

    ReplyDelete