Sunday, May 31, 2009

Do Animals Have Souls?


When I was a teenager, my brother and I used to run traps on the river close to my parents house. It was a fun way to pass the late Fall and early Winter months. It was also pretty good change for a kid my age, as muskrat brought about 4 or 5 dollars a pelt.

As I look back now, it seems the whole process was a bit cruel and PETA would not be happy. I’m not sure I could do it now. Basically, you set a steel trap along the river bank directly in the path of an unsuspecting critter, then tied the trap to a stake that you placed in the water. Muskrat steps in trap. Current pulls muskrat into water. Muskrat drowns. I get 5 bucks.

On occasion, a raccoon would wander into one of these traps and usually drowned. It was always a nice surprise because raccoon pelts brought closer to 30 dollars! However, raccoons are stronger than muskrat and they could often fight the current and stay on the bank of the river. They were trapped, scared, and pissed! We carried a small firearm for just such occasions. There was no way the frightened critter would let you get near enough to release him from the trap. Bear with me here. There IS a point to all this other than making you nauseous about the furry little guys.

On one Saturday morning, my brother and I were “running” our traps. Saturdays were usually the days we moved traps down river to look for fresh fur. On this morning, sure enough, there was a live raccoon stuck in one of our traps. At first we were excited because of the extra money the little guy would bring. And then we realized one of us was going to have to shoot him. As I drew the small pistol from my holster, this gorgeous creature did the most amazing thing. He cocked his head, squinted his eyes, then actually closed the eye closest to us and leaned heavily into the muddy bank. He KNEW what was coming. I know you must think I’m crazy, but I remember it like it was yesterday. I aimed at the raccoons head, but couldn’t pull the trigger. I handed the gun to my older brother who, reluctantly, squeezed off the round that ended the young raccoon’s life.

My point of this horrific story is to ask the question, “Do animals have souls?” You hear comments from people all the time about how, “it’s just a dog/cat/horse/whatever.” People say they have no concept of time. They don’t think about their mortality or plan or dream. I beg to differ. If a raccoon anticipating his impending doom isn’t enough, just try looking into the eyes of your dog. Listen to your cat when it crawls up on your lap for no other reason than to just be close. Watch any gallant horse as it sprints towards a finish line or rounds a barrel or pulls a plow.

My oldest daughter had a horse named Cowboy. He was a magnificent creature. He was strong and fast and ………………gentle. He developed colic once which nearly ended his life. He was in excruciating pain, yet when the vet took his vital signs, there was no elevation in pulse or blood pressure. The horse stood firm. Several thousand dollars of surgery and recovery saved his life, but the vet said it would be at least a year before he could compete as a barrel horse, and possibly months before he could even be ridden. That surgery was in February. In May, that horse and my daughter qualified for the National Little Britches Rodeo finals in both Barrels AND Poles. No soul? No heart? I’d love to have an ounce of that horses’ spirit.

Animals don’t ask for much. They want to eat, and they want you to talk nice to them and give them a pat on the head. If you mistreat them, they come back in 30 seconds with a wagging tail having already forgiven you. In return for a little food and kindness, animals give you an endless supply of guts and loyalty and love…….no questions asked.

I don’t have to bombard you with stories of animals and their amazing spirit. Just think about your own stories and experiences with the animals in your life. You probably already know what I mean. The animals I’ve known have shown more love, loyalty, spirit and soul than almost any human I’ve come across. I could only wish for half as much.

As for the raccoon? Well, I think since he had a soul, he already knows I’m sorry. And since he was an animal, I’m guessing he forgave my brother and me before the trigger was ever pulled.

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe in 'souls', so the question, as stated, is irrelevant to me. However, if I may take the liberty of restating what I think is the spirit of the question, it's 'Are they're any different than us?' They are not different. Sentient beings experience pain, fear, and other emotions. And we have no more right to inflict pain upon a sentient being, or destroy his habitat, than we have a right to harm the human variety of sentient beings. But then we must eat other living beings to live ourselves. One purpose of our various creation myths (such as Genesis where we are told that the animals were put here for us to eat) is to assuage our inherent guilt about this quandary. Our failure to evolve beyond the infantile religious belief that the earth and everything in it is here for us to rule over and use up, and that we are to 'be fruitful and multiply' is a huge moral failure on our part, and we are beginning to reap what we have sown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! I LOVE it when you comment on these. Put much better than I ever could have. Thanks again Chuck and I look forward to the coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine heaven being what I invision it being without my favorite pets. My individual heaven(If I have a say in it) isn't made of gold. What could be better than beautiful grassy meadows, crystal clear streams and lakes, star filled skies, snow covered mountains, and lush forests. I'll swim as deep as I want and never have to take a breath. I'll jump as high as I want, have hangtime that will shame Michael Jordan, and always land like a feather. My family and friends will be there and there will be no anger or fear or sickness. There beside me will be my dogs Sandy, Fang, Fred, Koby, and Callie. They are the creatures that God sent me while on Earth to make my trip to him more tolerable.
    I don't know if they have souls or not. I know for a fact that they have love, compassion, and forgiveness. These are traits created by my God so I assume that those traits will be rewarded. I know that Gold doesn't have a soul and apparently there's a bit of it up there, so surely there's room for a few more wonderful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As your number 1 fan...you know the stance I have on certain things. Ever since I was little we always had a pet, be it a dog or cat. My pets have always been lovable animals, that brought some frustration, but mostly happiness and love. They have known when they should stay away because I have been in a foul mood AND they have known when I was sad and needed to have a little extra comforting. They have always been there when I needed them. So, years ago, when a friend of mine kids were over playing with my kids, and their dog died, I was appalled at the answer the kids gave me when I said, It's ok. He is in doggie heaven. Crying and upset, they said," Mom and Dad said that dogs don't have a soul. They can't go to heaven." WTF! These are upset kids who just lost their beloved pet....and who knows what is going to happen when pets die or when WE die, but really? That's a good way to comfort you children! Anyway...that has bothered me for years....I am glad you wrote on the subject....I don't know what the true answer is or how you could even prove it....but when I die....I will be surrounded by my beloved pets who comforted me on earth and will continue to in the next life.

    ReplyDelete