Saturday, May 16, 2009

Going Home


I've been living in Texas now for nearly 22 years. I came here for a job opportunity with no real intention of staying forever. Circumstances of life and a few personal decisions and a few months turned into several years. The problem is, I've never really liked Texas much. There are parts of the state that I love geographically and the people are wonderful. I just hate the climate. Now, before you tell me that Interstate 35 runs north, I get it. I know which direction it runs. I have a terrific career and have met some amazing people. It just isn't home.
Like everyone else, I've heard all the quips about home being where the heart is and home is what you make it, ad infinitum. Believe me, I've tried all that. I'm a Nebraska boy. It's in my blood. I just can't help it. I love the change of seasons, the bright colors in the Fall, the bright green Springs, and yes, even the snow. I LOVE the snow and I'll take cold over 100 degrees any day of the week.
When I'm in Nebraska, something in me changes. I feel stronger, more confident. I'm in my element. Even people who know me well say I sound different when I'm there. I don't know what it is. I quit trying to figure it out. I just know it's where I belong. And with some luck, tough choices and fate, I'll be there again. It won't be as a firefighter, but I'll be home. I've done my time.
Come see me at Ron's Pumpkin Patch. You may even get lucky and catch a good Bluegrass jam. And bring your own rum. It makes the music sound better.

2 comments:

  1. Cool barn. It's the first thing i look for as come into Hickman. One hundred and eight years old. If only that old barn could talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get back to Nebraska soon. I have a sister that feels the same as you. She is ready to get moved back home. She also misses the seasons and the snow. She currently lives in Florida. Hope all is well with you Matt and looking forward to seeing you at the reunion!

    ReplyDelete