Sunday, March 21, 2010

To The Very End


"To save a man's life against his will is the same as killing him." 
  -Horace -

Last night I was called out to a house near my fire station on a "Assist Invalid" call.  What a call such as this typically means is that someone has fallen and can't get up.  We're called upon in non-emergency status to  assist in whatever way necessary.  You just never know what you're gonna get.  Last night was priceless.

Lying on his bed, was a man I had met once before.  He is a retired WWII veteran (an MP) and is heavily decorated.  He is also a former college Hall of Fame football player.   It wasn't that he couldn't get up.  He couldn't SCOOT up in the bed and he and his poor wife had been trying for over an hour to get him in a comfortable position.  But as long as we were there, it was a good idea to help him to the bathroom FIRST and THEN help him to scoot onto his pillow, which we did.  During this entire escapade, his wife continued to apologize for calling us to help.  The man, while grateful for the aid, seemed frustrated life had come to this.  While her husband was in the bathroom his wife shared with me, "He just isn't ready for the nursing home, but he has gotten so much worse over the past two weeks and especially the last 24 hours.  I just don't know what to do."

In a flash, I was yanked back to Nebraska and my own parents who also are in the twilight of their long lives together.  The situation was so similar you could hardly tell them apart.  At 81, Dad is finding it more and more difficult to take care of himself.  When he CAN get up he needs the aid of a walker and Mom can only leave him alone for short periods.  He has signs of early demetia and is so altered by the medicine he takes for pain that it's difficult to trust his ability to make a decision.  Mom is exhausted, yet devoted.  Run-down, yet steadfast.  After nearly 60 years of marriage, they keep plugging along through doctor after doctor and test after test.  As a bystander, it is SO difficult to watch.  My brothers and I have all offered suggestions and advice, but to no avail.  Mom and Dad do it their way.  Which is as it should be.  But of course...........(are you ready?) this all has me thinking!

For the longest time I've wondered what it is that makes people hold on to life on earth so tightly.  Is it fear of what's beyond?  Is it fear of things left undone?  Is it regret?   Is it devotion to their loved one?  To be truthful, I just don't know.  What I believe is that Dad and probably the man from my call last night would both be better off in extended care facilities.  But what do I know?  It isn't my life.  My parents relentlessly pursue more and more medical advice in an attempt to make my dad "better".  Every time he tells me that he is doing "pretty well", I tell him that "pretty well" may be what he has to accept at his age.  Last night it finally occured to me what may be happening; at least in my humble opinion.

Although, my dad and my friend the WWII vet are physically old, the spirits that live within them aren't.  The soul that dwells within my dad has been, is now, and always will be his spirit.  It knows no age.  It knows no limits.  It simply just "is".  So although it is with some level of guilt I've thought my dad's life was pretty much over (see an earlier entry on the gate swinging out), the truth is, his life on earth IS.  But the spirit that dwells within him may have a different idea.  There may indeed be things left to do that I may never understand.  And the best part is, I no longer need to.

What I do know is that the universe has complete control of the whole situation with my dad, my WWII buddy and everyone else like them.  Every thing that happens, affects everything that ever WILL happen, and there must be a bigger reason for my dad's pain and his need for a place here on earth.  There must be a reason for my mom's devotion and undying service.  I don't know what it is and I don't need to know.  It just is.  All I have to do is love them and know it's all ok.

So next time you encounter an old couple and wonder why they're still here, still struggling, still holding tight to that last ounce of independence, cut 'em some slack.  Understand that it's all happening for a reason and whatever that reason is, it's good enough.

That's the spirit!

8 comments:

  1. A thoughtful perspective that I agree with. These gentlemen are somewhere between realizing their need for help and acknowledging it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh sweet, precious life!!!

    Such an engaging encounter...the devotion and persistence of love.

    It reminds me of a patient and her husband in the hospital where I once worked.

    A frail couple, I believe they were in their early 90's. She lay tiny and mostly unaware of her surroundings in the cold, sterile hospital as her physical life slowly dwindled away.
    He, nearly as frail as her, yet still on his feet, albeit, incredibly slow and feeble would arrive at the hospital EVERY single morning between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM. We healthcare workers became very accustomed to his arrival as he painfully shuffled through the lobby, to the elevator, off the elevator and into his beloved's room. He would sit with his precious partner until late...usually 9:00 at night. He stayed by her side vigilantly...the love was palpable.

    I remember being amazed at the determination of this man to be with his wife...and I wondered what it must feel like to be in their shoes. I wondered if I would be so selfless to go such lengths to be with someone who barely knew I was there. I wondered if anyone would ever love me THAT much to go through that daily hassle.

    But, the part that touched me the most and stays in my heart forever is the morning that she died.

    I was aware of her very recent death just before 6:30 that morning...I was filled with sadness and wondered about her husband...maybe it would be a relief for him that she finally died...after all, she had really suffered and it had to have been agonizing for him to watch her...

    Alas, just as I was wondering, the elevator doors opened and he began his slow shuffle to her room where her body lay. The charge nurse saw him arrive and rushed to his side saying, "We tried to call you, but you had already left home...I am so sorry, but she is gone now."

    Then, I gulped back tears as this magnificent example of love completely broke into pieces and cried his heart out inconsolably. His entire body shook with the immense pain of his loss. I have rarely seen such raw grief. It was incredibly moving in an incredibly devastating way.

    Wow. I learned a lot from them.

    Dallas is lucky to have you on their force and
    your parents are very lucky to have you as a son.

    And the rest of us are lucky to enjoy your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done Matt. To me, this is one of your better ones. I think that even at my age, my spirit can do more than my body will allow. So its no wonder people hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for taking me back to my Dad, though he is gone now, I smiled. Robert Simmons

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have,on many occasions, become frustrated with multiple calls to the same address, all on the same day. As with you, I have given counseling that I was never trained or by job description, expected to give. Situations ranged from the stubborn to senile to just plain proud. I recently met a veteran of Iwojima in our district. I thanked him for his service. You could tell that it was energizing for him just to be recognized. That run, along with others, brought me to the same conclusion as you. This man's body was definately in decline but the look in his eyes was that of a teenager. He was full of pride. Once a man has has performed selfless acts of heroism, I think it would be hard to let yourself become dependent on anyone. I would not begrudge that man if he called us every shift. I think that he has earned the right after all that he has done for us. He served his country and now his country needs to serve him......The McWha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself so completely moved by your words in this article. I could have never expressed it verbally with your skill, but I also feel that our spirit does.not age with our bodies. For this I am very thankful, and yet see the incongruity of it. Viva the young, proud spirit, and everlasting love.
    Thanks, Matt. And you are most definitely in the correct line of work..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this story of the ailing parents. Just spent 8 hours at a clinic with my mom. I just follow the program and do what she asks me when she asks. I don't push my way into her life style. I take deep quiet breaths and keep a smile on my face and try to be obedient to my church upbring and the religious learinings I have acquired as I have matured.

    ReplyDelete