Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Techno-cological Exam


"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

-Albert Einstein-

I love Albert Einstein.  I think the guy was way ahead of his time and I feverishly seek quotes of his that make me think.  As much as I adore the guy, I think he may have gotten this one wrong.  Or...perhaps we just have a difference of opinion.

One of my favorite movies is Contact, starring Jodi Foster and Matthew McConaughey.  In this movie, Jodi Foster works for SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) while McConaughey plays a religious advisor/slash author whose primary purpose in life is the the pursuit of "truth".  Specifically, he questions whether or not the advancement of science and technology has made us better off as a whole.  In other words, are we fundamentally happier due to advanced technology?  Well, let's have a look at that, shall we?

Let's answer the "happy" question first.  I'll be the first to admit I'm a techno-geek.  I'm not exceptionally skilled at operating advanced electronics, but they fascinate me to no end! (Apologies to DRH for the hyperbole)  I am madly in love with my iPhone, spend countless hours at my laptop computer and find websites like Facebook alluring. I just can't help myself.  I find joy in the way they have made my life simpler and faster.  But the question isn't about that is it?  The question is, "Do these things make me happier?"  The simple answer is no.  Happiness is an inside job.

A few years ago I went without a cell phone for over a month.  After nearly checking myself into the Betty Ford clinic, the obsession with checking my phone began to ease and I found it liberating to be unreachable.  I often get to Nebraska to visit my brother's orchard.  While there, I have no cell service, no internet, and no television.  It is amazing!  I reconnect with my spirit and nature in a way I just don't manage when I'm in the city and "connected".  It's forced relaxation.  And there are times when I need that in a big way. 

It's easy to look back as little as 50 or 60 years and see a slower and simpler time.  Kids went out to play instead of playing Nintendo or watching the Disney Channel.  Families ate dinner together without cell phone interruptions or the sound of an incoming text message.  The introduction of technology has indeed disconnected us in many ways.  Are we fundamentally better off?   The human frailty of me would have to say no.  Are we more happy?  Again, as a society I think I'd vote no, but the part of me that looks to a much bigger picture sees things differently.  Hear me out.

You'll begin to be reinforced in your thinking about why this is called "Ramblings", but I'll do my best to explain.  If you discount things like fire and the wheel, many of our most amazing advances in technology have come in the last 100 years or so.  I could list all the modern conveniences we enjoy, but I don't think it's necessary.  Think of a thing that makes your life faster or less complicated and you can bet no one even heard of such a thing 150 years ago.  You don't have to be a Math Major to know that if you divide 150 years by the number of years man has inhabited the earth and you get a number too small for most calculators to register. 

And the most amazing thing of all is, this development is in it's infancy.  I know I've written of this before, but imagine what life will be like 1000 years from now!  Quantum Physics has already begun to rewrite the books on many of the findings of Isaac Newton himself.  Science fiction concepts like time travel are no longer so hard to imagine.  We can all communicate at the drop of a hat.  We're socializing over huge networks linked by computer.  I can't even begin to tell you how my life has been enriched by the people I've "met" in cyber space.  It's like attending a major university for free.  So where am I going with all this?  Hold on to your hat.

I believe all this technology is a major part of our evolution as a species.  When you consider the vastness of our universe, calling earth a dust speck would be an enormous exaggeration regarding size.  I'm not a purist in the realm of "little green men", but I do believe it would be considerably short-sited of us to think we're the only ones out there.  We'll likely never know for sure without the advancement of technology.  Our children are more aware of our universe and how we fit in than any other generation.  Religion is slowly giving away to science blended with spiritual wonder.  After a millenium, humans are becoming aware of our potential.

I truly believe that given another million years, folding space and moving fluidly from one galaxy to another is likely.  We already communicate by thoughts.  Come on, I know you've told your spouse, "I know what you're thinking!"  Imagine a time when humans may not actually "talk" in the way we know now.  Air travel will be replaced by transponders.  Anything you can imagine can be realized in the quantum.  It only takes time and vision.  We're well on the way.  The more advanced we become, the faster the advances WILL come.   It's just, well, physics.

I can only begin to imagine some of the religious feedback I may get.  I understand.  We do need to survive 12/21/12, Armageddon, etc.  But seriously.  Those events born of fear and ancient lore are giving way to a new consciousness.....a new age.  The longer we cling to the past, the slower our evolution will be, but make no mistake, it's gonna happen.  It already is.

Hop on board the Techno Train.  It's leaving the station and it's the ride of a lifetime!!

3 comments:

  1. Matt,

    Another intriguing, entertaining entry!!!

    I agree with you completely. Technology is advancing at seemingly light speed...for the betterment of mankind.

    Having worked in the medical imaging sciences for nearly 3 decades, I have seen firsthand the benefits of techno progression.

    We now have cures for maladies once incurable. Procedures save lives today, which would have been lost 30 years ago, with faster treatment, faster recovery, and fewer complications. In the medical field alone, technology has vastly benefited mankind.

    I specifically like your comments regarding our growing awareness of our potential. I believe our potential is greater than we are presently able to comprehend. I can't wait to see the changes coming!!! I definitely want a ticket on the Techno Train!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe technology is nothing but a multi-dollar business that preys on the weak minded. There isn't a single company that makes products to "further human progress". It's all about dollars and cents. If they were truly interested in bettering humanity they would "invent" for free. I always find it humorous when someone says that technology "simplifies" their life. I know quite a few people that thought e-mail was a great invention only to find that their companies expected them to read and reply to hundreds of e-mails a day. Of course e-mail dramatically increased productivity (and their workload) just not their pay check. The iPhone is another great example. Sure you can get on the internet and "stay connected", while the person you went out to dinner with stares blindly into space as you update your status on facebook. Let's face it folks, technology is nothing but a status symbol. Who has the latest greatest gadget? Who spent 300 dollars on a device to listen to music? We all have been blinded by "progress"; we have all failed to see who pays the price. Every company in America goal is to make money. This is done by paying a cheap price in production and charging as much as possible (while of course still being cheap enough to afford). It's all about margins not progress. We all love our 60 inch plasma's and ipods but what is the real cost? Well the real cost is empty stomachs and exploited labor. But of course it's all in the name of "progress". It's too bad most American's identities are tied to the products they buy. Albert had it right. We are going no where but backward. America is the company and we all work for it, whether we want to or not. And yes, it's extremely difficult for me to sleep at night. I hate the "reality" this country had constructed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating article relevant to this topic:

    http://ldolphin.org/cslevol.html

    ReplyDelete