Monday, April 13, 2009

I'm Sorry


The other day while I was finishing up some shopping at Walmart, I did (well actually SAID) something off-color and out of character for me. At least I HOPE it was out of character.
While loading groceries in my truck, a Walmart employee was waiting to take my cart. While he waited, a friend asked him how he was doing. He said, and I quote, "I'm doing well." My response to that? And I quote again with sincere apologies, "Does he know he's retarded and pushing carts at Walmart?" Completely and utterly tasteless. As you may have already guessed; however, my ruthless question did have deeper meaning.
What I meant to say in my I'm-a-fireman-with-a-crude-sense-of-humor kind of way is, "How can someone who seemingly has so "little" be "well", when I, who has so much, seems to be able to find things to complain about? And I guess that's really the topic of this blog.
I forget the exact statistics, but something like 90% of all Americans are wealthier than 95% of the the world population. I'm sure the numbers are wrong, but the point is clear. Almost all of us have food to eat, friends, jobs and a place to sleep. Imagine the people world-wide who have few or even none of the above.
Just like when I was riding a busy ambulance, life is largely about attitude. I have MUCH to be grateful for. I have the best job in the world for which I am usually overpaid. I have a wonderful pension waiting. I have healthy, happy and beautiful children. I have friends, a late-model truck, food to eat, and a roof over my head every single day of every month of every year. I have absolutely NOTHING to complain about, yet somehow I still find a way to do it.
This young man, who was slightly short of faculties and pushing carts at Walmart for what I assume is minimum wage, was "well". He didn't complain. He didn't say he was "doing ok I suppose." He didn't say he could be doing better or that he couldn't wait for his shift to be over. He offered great customer service and he did it with a smile. He did something else that day. He reminded me that how you look at life is up to you. You can be unhappy about what you don't have, or you can be happy with what you have. It's up to you....period.
Even though my comment that day wasn't MEANT to be cruel, it was and I feel ashamed by it. And just like an earlier blog that spoke of "What if's.....", this young man changed my future permanently and irreversibly without even trying. Be careful what you complain about. Be careful what you wish for. And most of all, be careful what you say. Words spoken leave a lasting impression and can never be taken back.
I'm sorry.

3 comments:

  1. You are so correct. Even though I have my situation...I am grateful for the things I have. Could be worse. Nice of you to have admitted your mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Matt, you continue to impress me. You really put yourself out there. It takes a big person to stand up and admit your little "open mouth insert foot" moment. We've all done it. How many of us put it out there for the world to see? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like! When my kids were growing up they of course always wanted more and more, wanted to stay in fasion, etc.... Me, being a single parent for the most of thier lives, struggled to keep them in fashion. They didn't have as much as some kids but they had a lot more than others. When they would complain about wanting more - - - I would tell them "When you don't have everything you want, start wanting what you have".

    ReplyDelete