Sunday, April 12, 2009

How's He Doing?

Just the other day someone asked me what kind of job I thought President Obama was doing so far. I'm about to tell you, but you're going to have to bear with me and keep an open mind.

In a nutshell, I think our new president is doing EXACTLY what we need for him to do. Hang in there with me and I'll tell you why.

Last November, I did something I have never, EVER done as a registered voter, and I've voted in every presidential election since I became eligible. I voted for a Democrat. Some of you are already applauding. Some of you are already calling me names. Stay tuned. Immediately AFTER I checked the box of Barrack Obama, I voted a straight Republican ticket. Ok, so now many of you think I'm crazy for sure.

As a rule, I have always been a Republican. I am fiscally conservative, believe in a free market system (in fact a radically free market), and like my government small and relatively uninvolved. I believe in the right to keep and bear arms, a strong military, etc. etc. As I get older, I do tend to lean a little left socially, but in general, most would agree I am more conservative than anything else.

That being said, this country needed a shot in the arm. It needed a big shot in the arm. Many people, especially our youth, had turned their back on politics. As I discussed things with people I was always amazed at the level of apathy I received as it related to politics, our economy, the war in Iraq, etc. Things were good, but getting bad. Most people didn't care. You'll have to agree, when Obama really got a good head of steam in the presidential campaign, this country's interest in our government exploded. The most important demographic of people who got involved were our youth; first-time voters.

So here's my take on the whole thing and why I voted for Obama. We needed people interested in government for our future to take hold. His presence in that campaign got the ball rolling in that direction in a big way. Whether or not he makes things better or screws them up beyond recognition over the next four years, we do indeed have a whole new generation of people now interested in stepping in. It may be that a young parent runs for PTA, or the school board, or their local city council. Maybe the President that saves us from world-destruction sometime in the future was born from interest in this campaign.

I think the stimulus package is probably a waste. I think we need to stop bailing companies out of trouble even if it means our economy hitting rock-bottom and starting over. I think a true free market will fix almost anything if we stop calling for an immediate solution to a long term problem. EVERYTHING is cyclical. It'll work out. Our founding fathers knew that when they developed a system of government that required two sides. Tired of one? The other one will gain ground. Tired of that one now? Fear not. The other team is right behing them.

I DO think it's time we stopped saying one idea or the other is a "bad" idea just because a Democrat thought of it; or a Republican thought of it for that matter. If you look closely at most any issue, you'll probably find there are some good AND bad about solutions from both sides. Maybe we should take the good from each side and meet in the middle. It's just a thought.

Is Obama doing a good job? Heck, I don't know. I think it's too early to say. But I know this. The fact that he's President is accomplishing exactly what we need for the long haul.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I don't mean to comment on every blog you do but I can't help myself. Again, you put yourself out there. Kudo's. No matter what side you're on. It's not us vs. them. Everybody has to work together to create a balance. Why are people so short sided and don't see that. There is more than one way to get a job done - most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Char. I think we needed a change if for no other reason than to get politicians attention that people are feed up with business as usual. I also agree there is too much apathy in our country. Maybe a 3rd party would help!? Maybe give a different perspective and create less of a us versus them mentallity.
    Littlejay

    ReplyDelete