Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Just Paint


“Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.”

~George Bernard Shaw~

“The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.”

~Albert Einstein~

Last weekend I had the honor of watching my daughter's dance recital.  Although she was only able to participate in one number this year due to injury, I still loved watching this form of art.  For me, dance is the greatest form of self-expression.  I marvel at the talent.

After the recital, my daughter came to stay with me and was instantly drawn (no pun intended) to an easel and paints Linda had recently given me as a gift.  I asked her if she'd like to paint something and to my surprise she said, "Yes!" 

She sat down at the table, a full array of paints at her disposal, and began to ask questions about what she should draw.  Those questions were followed by such things as what kind of brush she should use, what color I felt like would go best here or there, etc.  It was a great bonding time and yet I could feel she felt some apprehension about trying a new craft.

"I'm not very good at drawing or painting," she said. 

"Oh really?  Says who?", I inquired.

"You know, Dad, the professionals!"

To which I quickly answered, "What do THEY know?  Just paint."

She became a little more comfortable playing with different colors and brushes and you know what?  She's pretty good!  She stopped being concerned about what others might think about her art and just painted.  She finished the weekend with three creations and I loved them all.  You can see two of them above.

I'll be the first to tell you I know absolutely nothing about "art".  In other words, I've never been formally "trained" or taken an art class.  But I can tell you this.  If I were to teach any form of art I would tell my students this.  Put away your books.  Banish any preconceived notion you have of what constitutes art.  Stop trying to imitate Picasso or Renoir or Monet.  Quit worrying about depth and shadows and lighting.  Take your brush in your hand, close your eyes, and just paint.  Hum while your painting.  Sing out loud.  It doesn't matter.  Just paint your heart.  I wish our school systems would catch on to that notion.

The closest thing I've ever had to formal training in regards to writing is English Literature 101.  I took it as an elective when I was a college Freshman.  I LOVED that class!  I don't know whether the words I pen are in the right order or follow some code or appeal to the masses.  I just write my heart.  I don't write for you.  I write for me.  And that's what makes it so very special.  My writing (as well as a sculpture I did which at present is in pieces because my welding is defective) is my gift to myself.  It's a way for the deepest part of me to live on in some way forever. 

I'm wondering.  Do you know why Stephen King is such a gifted writer?  I'll tell you why.  He's gifted because he allows himself to take his mind where most are afraid to go.  And then he puts it on paper.  Can you imagine the stuff this guy CAN'T print?  He's fearless.  Not everyone likes it, but I'll bet deep in the heart of Stephen King's soul, he doesn't care.  He writes his heart.

That's my appeal to you....my hope.....my plea.  If you have a passion, whether it be singing or dancing or painting or playing an instrument or designing clothes or writing the great American novel, ask yourself what's holding you back.  Stop being concerned about the "Greats" and what they did.  Who cares?  Devil wears Prada?  Who cares?  Create a clothing line with passion, from the heart, and you could make sun dresses from gunny sacks and you'd sell a million of them.

So do it will you?  There's a whole world out there starving for your creations.  Put down your books.  Stop studying.  Close your eyes...................Take a deep breath.....................See it?  Feel it?  Now.......

Just paint.

4 comments:

  1. (drawing in a deep breath....exhaling slowly)

    Matt, I know I have bias because I care so much for you, but yet, I am thunderstruck by your writing talent, your inspiration and your heart. Rendered speechless, I am. For the moment. Thank you for sharing your gifts and talents with the world...I plan to follow your advice. You give me courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Matt....I soooo want to be inspired like you are about life right now. I'm going thru a process of my own in hopes that I come out on the other side a little more light hearted and a lot more loving. Thanks for sharing your stories. I love u:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me immediately think of two of my favorite children's books: The Dot and Ish by Peter H. Reynolds. (great reading for adults also)

    I just recently finished a great read by Sir Ken Robinson called "The Element" which addresses some of the same thoughts you raised in your post.

    I enjoy your posts and comments!

    ReplyDelete