Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Peace, Love, Joy, Harmony (Part #3)


“The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”

-Jack Kerouac –

"The beating heart of the universe is holy joy."

-Martin Buber-

Joy  –noun
1.the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation:

Nearly 30 years ago, I crossed the Red River on I35 for the first time under my own power.  I'd crossed it dozens of times on visits to see my grandparents, but this was my first real adventure into the unknown.  I was actually driving this time and I can remember singing as I transponded via concrete bridge from Oklahoma into Texas.  The very first thing I can distinctly remember seeing was a bumper sticker which read as follows:   "Welcome to Texas.  Now go home."  Turns out that was advice I should have heeded, but thats for another time.  The point is, it just wasn't joyful.

For the past several months I have had the honor and privilege of getting to know someone who LIVES the word Joy.  From a history I won't go in to, this amazing person has learned to grab onto life one amazing moment at a time.  She wakes up grateful, she smiles at everyone she meets, and I am yet to hear her say an unkind word about anyone.  And she has known some people that deserve a bad word.  But thats not her style.  Thats not her mantra.  She simply lives in Joy.  In fact, her code name on my phone is Joy.  When she calls, thats what I see and thats what I feel.............Joy.

It's a lesson for us all isn't it?  To live in Joy?  How many times every day do you make a choice to smile or frown;  let someone into your lane on the freeway or cut them off?  When was the last time you took a day off and walked through the grass barefoot?  When did you last sing in the shower?  When did you do something entirely...........Joyful?   For many of you I'm guessing you can't remember the last time you did such a thing.   If I wasn't learning to be so joyful, that'd make me sad!

I have made a number of choices in life that mainstream society would find, well, selfish or self-seeking.  I can now say without question that although not selfish, the decisions I've made have been entirely self-seeking.  Thats what it's all about.  It's about ME finding JOY!  "Well, that IS selfish", you might say.  "It's all about Matt."  But is it?  Whom do I serve if I live a life that isn't fulfilling; that doesn't bring me Joy?  I'll tell you who it serves.  No one.  If I live in Joy and continually seek the things that bring me such, I do all those around me a great service.  They each get a smile and they all get to see an example of someone who hasn't sat idly by and waited for Joy to arrive. 

Now here's the kicker.  Joy comes in a different package for everyone.  Some I've known have found complete Joy and honor and fulfillment in raising a family.  Some find it in their job.  Still others find Joy in their religion. A select few actually find "Joy" in their suffering!  I know, right?   From where does my Joy come?  It comes from doing my best to stay in the moment.  It comes from smiling and breathing and admiring trees and birds and animals and spending time with my daughters.  It comes from spending time on the farm, meditating, working, writing, truffle and fossil hunting, and  holding close the one who showed me what Joy is all about.

You see, Joy is everywhere.  And Joy is what we make it.  There is Joy in everything we do, every moment of every day.  It's simply a choice.  So join me for a day will you?  Do something that brings you Joy.  Do it just for today and see how you like it.  Try it on for size.  Living in Joy isn't burying your head in the sand...........................

It's taking it out.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace, Peace, Love, Love, Joy, Joy....Smile, Smile, Smile... :-)

    Happy, Happy, Happy!!!!!!

    Your blog brings me much Joy!!!!!

    I have had and do have oodles of Joy in my life and times. I have been honored with infinite blessings for which I am continually grateful.

    You, Matt, are my ultimate Joy. And I thank you. :-) Wanna go for a barefoot walk with me?

    Love your writing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for being up front with the idea that the experience of joy/pleasure is an infinitely valuable part the human experience. Continual self-denial is not fulfilling as an end in itself, and it does not suit our human condition to be continually deprived of pleasure.

    Hedonism: the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the highest good.
    devotion to pleasure as a way of life.

    If I look to myself or others to find joy I am always eventually disappointed. I have had many relationships that have brought me joy temporarily, and then inevitably sorrow. I have never found a person to whom I could look for perpetual joy. Things don't supply me with joy either. The joy I experience with new things fades even more quickly...like that "new car" feeling. As for myself, I fare no better. If I look within myself for joy, I let myself down every day. I am so grateful that I am not left with only earthly options!

    "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."
    Ps. 16:11

    ~Cathy R

    Great article here on the source of joy:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1538_Christian_Hedonism/

    ReplyDelete