Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Punxatawny Phil



I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the fine folks at PETA for breaking a week-long writers block.  Just when I thought there was nothing left on this earth to write about, along comes a topic so absurd that I have to write lest I curl up on the floor in the fetal position, crying out loud at the reality of some people's insanity. 

Now that I have that off my chest, I'd like to say that I'm sure the membership of PETA has done some great things for animal rights.  But seriously people....you want to replace Punxatawny Phil with a robot, because poor Phil is under, um, stress from all the crowd exposure?  Are you kidding me?  I'm almost positive little furry Phil lives a life of luxury being fed grapes and fanned by the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders while tanning in the off-season.  You really want to cause the little guy some stress?  Turn him loose into the wild where he has to forage for food and wear camouflaged body armor to protect himself from Mr. Hawk.

In my youth, I hunted Pheasant and Quail and even trapped poor innocent Muskrat and Beaver.  I even shot a couple racoons.  I no longer hunt, because frankly, I don't see the point.  I don't need the food.  I can get that at the local grocery store for ALOT less money than having a deer processed.  I don't even step on ants or kill spiders any more if I can avoid it.  I guess my middle age and wisdom has taught me of my own mortality and I prefer to just live and let live.  

So I understand the sentiment that surrounds wanting to protect animals.  But I thought it might be more prudent to rescue animals that were actually suffering or being abused.  I hardly think Phil falls into that category.  Suggesting Phil be replaced by a robot would be like suggesting we offer asylum to amoeba in a luxury condo because the funk they grow in is just too, well.....funky.

When and how did we lose our sense of normal?  How did common sense get replaced by the absurd and ridiculous?  Our kids can't fail in school.  Everyone makes the team.  People win lawsuits because they were injured when they spilled coffee on themselves that was, GASP!!, hot!  My employer spends thousands of dollars in overtime in an attempt to make a point and dole out punishment.  I could go off on a serious tangent here as all this relates to government, and our sense of entitlement as a society, but frankly, I just don't have the strength.  Perhaps another blog entry for another time.

I'm trying to be light-hearted about this, but the truth is, sometimes the things we as humans come up with frighten me.  If I weren't a more positive type of fellow I think I'd feel hopeless.  People just like the fine folks at PETA are even helping to run our government!   NOW are you scared?

For the love of God, let Phil enjoy his life in the limelight.  He looks pretty darn happy to me.  Besides, I don't think a robot could be programmed to effectively predict weather like the real thing.  A robot........a ROBOT!  I swear, even when I have nothing to say, this stuff continues to just write itself. 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you were a groundhog in a previous life...hmmm.... ;-) lol

    I completely agree with you on the ridiculousness of PETA and other organizations that attempt to level the playing field...really, I think we learned all that is necessary in life in kindergarten...if we would only apply those basic principles. (I love hanging out with kindergartners!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, sadly, if PETA stuck to their more reasonable issues (like unnecessary cruelty) they would have a far larger following and tremendously fewer detractors. They actually kill their own legitimate message by drowning it with a sea of absurd overreactions. After hearing a few of the nutty dispatches, most of us quit paying any attention at all, except perhaps for the REALLY nutty dispatches, they are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete